Sunday, February 15, 2009

What Should I Read?

I've just finished my current crop of books and need a new book to read. Picking what I am going to read usually takes more time than reading the first 100 pages of the book, so I am coming to you all for help. I'll leave out my comic choices for another day (I'm probably going with my deluxe Avengers Assembled Vol. 5).

I've decided this go around, I want to read something I've never read before. Here are your choices for me:

The Stand - Stephen King

Phantom of the Opera - Gaston Leroux

The Tales of Beedle the Bard - J.K. Rowling

The Fortunate Pilgrim - Mario Puzo (I know it's a surprise that I haven't read this yet. It is one of two Puzo books I haven't read. The Dark Arena is the other.)

Persuasion by Jane Austen (this and Pride and Prejudice are my wife's 2 favorite Austen tales. She says I need to stop making fun of how lame Austen's stories are until I actually read one. P&P is about twice as long as Persuasion, so I picked Persuasion)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I havent read any of these, but The Stand comes HIGHLY recommended from many people. Let me toss one out there that's not on your list. I read this a few years ago, before the movie came out, and I loved it. The Reader.

Also Choke by Chuck Palahniuk was a great, but a bit disturbing, book.

Have you read the Homecoming series by Card?

Nicole Shelby said...

Hm...I vote for Persuasion. I've read everything you've ever recommended to me. It's about time you elevated your own literary pursuits! (smooch, smooch)

Scott H. said...

I vote for them in the following order:
1st) Phantom of the Opera, what a great little read. It's definitely a great book and will be easy to get out of the way.

2nd) Tales of Beetle the Bard, I haven't read this but it is VERY short and I've heard it's great and really quick.

3rd) The Stand, I saw you have read other Stephan King books but this one I have seen rated as his best book by websites and fan surveys, so it should be worth it.

4th) the Fortunate Pilgrim, it's Puzo, you gotta read it.

5th) Well, if you said you'd read it, I guess you should, good luck...